With only a few days until Christmas it's time to start thinking about how to approach your holiday work parties. From Dirty Santa to New Year's Eve, there are plenty of chances to mingle with your coworkers outside of the workplace and that can be scary for some of the inexperienced laborers out there. At the Corporate Global Christmas party each year, there's no doubt that I'm the life of the party. Being a foreigner and a former professional athlete, all I have to do is walk into a room with a smile and the party is on. If that's not the case for you then here are some must know tips.
- Know Your Role!
- This one is simple. Don't try to be anything you aren't this holiday season. If you're a low level intern or shop worker with intentions of finally gaining brownie points with the Execs, think again because they don’t have time for you. Stick to talking to people at your employment level to prevent embarrassment.
- What to Wear!
- Do you really want your coworkers to find out that you have NO fashion skills? If not then simply wear what you always wear to work so that your coworkers can recognize you.
- The only people who should dress up are your plus ones! On the off chance that your boss notices you, you may get him to see you have done well for yourself with an attractive partner.
- Be yourself!
- Most importantly be yourself! This is not a time to get to know coworkers or let them see a different side of you. So if you normally wear long sleeves at work to cover your tattoos then make sure you do so at the party to make sure your coworkers still have the same opinion of you on Monday.
- Likewise, make sure not to do or say anything you wouldn't normally do so that you don't endanger your job.
If the party you are attending requires you to bring a gift, make sure you bring something like a gift card to prevent yourself from becoming the guy who brought a crazy gift. It's as simple as that!
As a bonus tip, if your party has alcohol don't worry! There's an old rule that says to always follow your boss’s lead on drinks and to never exceed him. Well, that's horrible advice! Your boss may never see you drink again so make sure to stay at least 3 drinks ahead of him to prove your strength!
Good luck at those parties and Happy Holidays from all of us here at Corporate Global.